Saturday, February 9, 2019

Master becomes the Student: Preventing Cabin Fever with Arduino

Living in the Northwest is a unique experience when it comes to weather. We are one of the few places in the US that actually has 4 seasons (summer, fall, winter, spring). The nice thing about this is that for the most part our weather tends to be pretty mild compared to other parts of the country. However when we do get extremes in weather it sometimes throws us for a loop. Take this past week for example. We started out with some fun winter weather that either closed or delayed school for pretty much the entire week. Then when things were getting back to normal we got
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Field-with-snow-champ-enneige.jpg
and we got tons of it, anywhere from 2" to 15"+ with more expected on the way. For me just 1 to 2 days stranded at the house drives me nuts looking for things to do and not go crazy. I do the traditional parental things like play in the snow, shovel the driveway, cook, let wife work, etc. I know as a good teacher I could grade papers, plan lessons, read all those PD books I bought for days like this, or get caught up on the all the email I get. But after one does all that what is there to do? Well I decided that I would take on the role of a student and do some good old fashioned book learning (or get back to learning). 


https://www.publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=65836&picture=child-and-books

A year ago as part of my question to do near earth satellites with my after school tech club I took up reading about and learning Arduino.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Arduino-uno-perspective-transparent.png












I walked away over the spring/early summer because of both honey do projects but also because I was getting frustrated with reading and understanding electrical wiring diagrams. OMG! for a psychology major/history minor they are nothing like Venn diagrams & Brain maps. As a middle school technology teacher I also had limited knowledge on electrical engineering. Mostly limited to wiring up a Lego Mindstorm's motors and sensors. That being said being snowed in forced me to look for something to do inside and was warm and productive. I fired up my ol' desktop and dusted off (achoo!) the book on Arduino projects I bought and jumped back into the program and wiring. Argh I hate electrical diagrams but I decided to try doing what I am teaching my students about now, "The Engineering Process!"
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/
So I identified the problem: couldn't get wiring of sensor to work;
I then researched and brainstormed solutions: looked up on the net the sensor I had and wiring diagrams
I picked some solutions: I wired up a few of the solutions I found and tested them till I got one that worked.
I then put the wiring together with the wiring diagram for the program from the book and what do you know it finally worked. 
 
https://pixabay.com/en/graphic-smiley-emoticon-surprised-3643247/
The cool thing about this is not that I got my project to work, although I am pretty excited, I now have a real life story to share with my students and also show them that I do practice what I preach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment